Friday, July 17, 2009

Frugal Friday!

Thursday, July 16th: I haven't partaken in one of my guilty pleasures in a while, shopping at The Limited. I decided to go during my lunch break today to look for some work pants. Well, I didn't find any pants that I liked, but I did find some shorts. Pants, shorts, kind of the same thing, right? Oh well.

Regular Price: $44.50. My price: $11.89. Total Savings: $32.61 or 73%.

Frugal Tip:

I love my Real Simple magazines. Plain and simple, I just love them. They always have really fun organizing tips and recipes. The thing I like most about the recipes is that they all have pictures to go along with them. This is really beneficial to the visual readers. I don't know about you, but compared to recipes with no pictures, recipes with pictures make me way more excited to cook. I'll compare it to a picture book for a kid. What kid wants to look at a book with no pictures? Not me. I'd be running around the room in no time. Because I cannot bare to part with the articles that I might need to reference one day, and I definitely cannot get rid of the fun picture recipes, I have been hoarding neatly storing my magazines until I figure out what to do with them.

On another note, we were doing some Spring cleaning at work the other day and I found a binder in the trash pile. We've all heard the saying, "one man's trash is another man's treasure," and I hit the jackpot. Did I mention that I also love sheet protectors, aka slick sheets? Is that weird? When I saw that the binder had slick sheets AND dividers numbered 1-10, a light bulb went off in my head. Oh man, this is going to be good. I brought the binder home and started tearing out all of the juicy recipes that were making my stomach growl and all of the organizing tips and articles that put a skip in my step. After I had compiled all of my pages, I trimmed the torn edges and put the recipes in one binder and the articles in another. I sorted the recipes into 9 different categories: 1. Breakfast 2. Lunch 3. Bread, Soups and Salads 4. Sides 5. Veggie and Red Meat (ironic, I know.) 6. Chicken 7. Seafood 8. Pasta 9. Dessert. I'm still working on my "fun tips" binder, but I finished the recipe binder today. It looks pretty good, if I do say so myself. I don't normally toot my own horn, but toot toot!

Moral of the story: Save money by making your own recipe book - a recipe book that contains only the recipes you like. The slick sheets are great because they guard the recipe from any flying food. Not only did I save money by not buying a recipe book that doesn't have pictures for all of the recipes, not to mention a recipe book that includes recipes with ingredients that I don't care for, I also reduced my carbon footprint by reusing trash and making it my treasure.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So awesome! I wish I was less picky about shorts because I'd totally go grab some! But I'm waaaaaay to broke to shop anyway...so I guess it's a blessing in disguise :)

Good job girl!

P.S. I LOVE the recipe book!

Dave, Kristen, Katelyn, Anna, and Ben McCurdy said...

Awesome!!

dabradberrys said...

I am glad that you really seize all of those opportunities. I always just think about what I need to do and never do it. Way to take the initiative to implement.\Love, MOM

Jessica said...

digging through the trash, it pays off. glad you were able to use your sweet skills to make a sweet recipe and organizer binder.