Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Savings Continue...

Here are the items I saved on this week:

Kroger: I mentioned last week that I tried the Nature Valley Granola Nut Clusters and really liked them. I printed off two more $1 off coupons from Coupons.com and bought two more packages at Kroger on Friday. At $1.29 each, I was pretty sure a deal like that wouldn't come along again anytime soon. Regular Price: $7.58 ($3.79 each). My Price: $2.58 ($1.29 each).

Wal-Mart: I used my $2 off $10 or more of gas (expires 3/16) at Murphy USA this weekend. The only place I've seen Murphy USA is at Wal-Mart, so if your local Wal-Mart has a gas station, you're in luck! Regular Price: $10.00. My Price: $8.00

JCPenney Sephora: I went to the mall yesterday to see if our JCPenney had a Sephora counter. They didn't. I decided to wander aimlessly (by aimlessly, I mean straight to the BCBG section of Dillard's) but was stopped by a sweet old lady on my way. Her name was Joy. "Would you like to take a movie preview survey? It won't take too long... (Insert smile too sweet to ignore, here). "Uhhh...hmm...okay. For you, Joy? Sure. One of the pre-qualification questions asked how many times I had been to the movie theatre in the past 2 months. I said zero. The girl interviewing me (it wasn't Joy, she just hooks the people walking past) had a sad look on her face. I said, "Oh, does it need to be more than that?" She said, "Yeah... at least two..." "Oh, okay then, two." "Perfect. How many times have you been to the movie theatre in the past year? This one doesn't matter." "Okay great, ummm 8. That sounds good." The next part was selecting the probability of me seeing a movie, just based on the title and the cast. After reading the title and the names of the cast members, I watched the preview and told her why I did/did not want to see the movie, based on the preview. The whole process took about 20 minutes and at the end she said, "Let me go get your $2.00." Awesome. Here I thought I was just helping Joy meet her quota and I got $2.00 out of the deal. Although that equates to $6/hr, it's better than dropping $50 on clothes that I may or may not have needed. All that to say, I stopped by another JCPenney with Ali after church today and picked up my Free Mascara. It took all of 20 seconds. Survey - I earned $2.00 for 20 minutes of my time. Mascara - Regular Price: $9.38*. My Price: FREE.
*The regular size, 0.27 oz, retails for $19.50. My sample is 0.13 oz, so that means it would have been $9.38).

Sprouts: Sprouts has a sweet sale on their Cuties this week! A 5 lb box normally retails for $7.99 and Sprouts had them advertised for $2.99. I also had a $1.00 of coupon, making my box of cuties $1.99.
Regular Price: $7.99. My Price: $1.99.

Panda Express: I posted earlier this week that Panda Express was offering a FREE single serving of their new item, Honey Walnut Shrimp. I definitely swung by and used my coupon! There were seven shrimp packed in a tiny little box, but it was delicious and far exceeded my expectations. I think of fast-food Chinese as being soggy and nasty, but the coating on the shrimp was crunchy and far from soggy. I liked it so much that I decided to get it again today when Ali and I ate lunch at Panda Express. To my surprise, the serving size that I got for free on Wednesday really was a real serving size. I only got seven little shrimp with my meal today, but had to pay $4.00 for them this time. I think I'll make my own honey walnut shrimp next time. Regular Price: $4.00. My price: FREE.

CVS: I was down to the last little bit of my bar soap and needed to get some more. CVS had an advertised deal on Caress bar soap (limit 3) for $0.99, and I got three.
Regular Price: $4.77 ($1.59 each). My Price: $2.97.

Total Weekly Savings: $30.18 or 69%.
Regular Price Total: $43.72. My Price Total: $13.54 (includes my $2.00 earnings).