Friday, April 24, 2009

Frugal Friday!

Tuesday, April 21st: There are two people at work who really helped a sister out last Friday. In honor of Earth Day, we gave our employees the opportunity to exchange 10 plastic grocery bags for 1 reusable grocery bag. Each office was supposed to receive their bags directly from the vendor, but there was obviously a miscommunication along the way because all 1,000 bags ended up being sent to my attention. Long story short, I had to repackage all of the bags and overnight them to 21 different locations. I received the bags at 3:00 pm and needed to leave the office at 4:15. YIKES! Doug dropped what he was doing to help me and Jenna stayed late to make sure that all of the packages went out on time. I wanted to let them know that I was super grateful for their help and decided to get them their favorite drink from Sonic. I decided to take a late lunch so I could hit up Sonic during their Happy Hour, which is from 2:00-4:00pm everyday. Regular priced medium drink: $1.40. Happy Hour medium drink: $0.70. Total Savings: $1.40 (I got two drinks) or 50%.

Dave is out of town this week and Kristen wanted some company tonight. I didn't want her to have to make dinner so I opted to pick something up for both of us on my way over. The meal of choice? Pei Wei. I discovered a couple of years ago that if you walk into Pei Wei and place an order to go, you get a complimentary drink while you wait. I'm all about free stuff and people watching, so I don't mind having to wait 10 minutes for my food. I also learned that the Kids' Wei Honey Seared Chicken is significantly cheaper than the adult meal and although the portion size is not the same, it is still more than enough. You can add a kids drink to the the Kids' Wei for only $0.50, but if you are an adult, you have to get an adult drink at the regular price - no kids' drink for you! Since I was placing my order to go, the cashier had no way of knowing if the order was for Kristen and myself, or for my pretend children who were starving at home and both craving a Diet Coke. I got two Kids' Wei meals, both with a diet coke (no ice, idea compliments of my brother in-law, Evan - the coke is already cold, ice waters down the drink and it takes up space that the diet coke could be occupying) AND a complimentary adult size Diet Coke. Price for 2 adult meals with a drink:
$19.00. Price for 2 kids meals with a drink: $8.50. Total Savings: $10.50 or 55%. HOLLA!

Be sure to check out BurbMom to see how much my friend Holly is saving by playing The Grocery Game this month!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

why wasn't ev given credit for the no ice in the drink? that is copyright infringement! royalties please....

Dave, Kristen, Katelyn, Anna, and Ben McCurdy said...

consider this a "HOLLA!!"

Jessica said...

my first statement is retracted.